Notes on codes, projects and everything
Generally, library holds a wide variety of reading materials and providing ample space for quiet study. A full range of services is provided in a library, such as loan, reservation, inter-library loan, reference, online resource, document delivery, photocopying, audiovisual and microform materials.
Initially, the library transactions are handled manually by the library staff. The references are stored using the filing system. This tradition method has raised many inconveniences to the library staff.
Hence, you are required to do some research on the problems that faced by the conventional library management system, and then develop a computerized library system by using the ASP.NET.
A master page is used to set up a consistent look and feel to the website. However, since it is not being discussed in class, therefore we had got to learn that ourselves. We implemented a simple master page to the website and separate the layout and data presenting element using a stylesheet file. The tool used to develop the assignment is Visual Web Developer 2005 Express Edition.
Following included are the screenshots for some main functions.
Call me a cheapskate, as I still have not subscribe to a mobile data plan after purchasing my second smartphone, namely Nokia N9. There’s this ‘allow background connections’ option but it doesn’t care whether the connected network is a WLAN network or mobile data network. After finding out that Nokia has no interest in creating another separate option so that each type of network has their respective ‘allow background connections’ switch, I decided to make one for my own.
Often times one would have to write code to evaluate logical statements. For example, given statement p and q, what is p implies q? As there’s no operator for implication in PHP, one would have to rewrite the statement that consists only in NOT (
!), AND (
&&) and OR (
||) operators. When there are a huge load of these statements, code can be difficult to read.
Sometimes, letting a piece of code evolving by itself without much planning does not usually end well. However I was quite pleased with a by-product of it and I am currently formalizing it. So the by-product is some sort of DSL for a rule engine that I implemented to process records. It started as some lambda functions in Python but eventually becomes something else.
Implementing a Information Retrieval system is a fun thing to do. However, doing it efficiently is not (at least to me). So my first few attempts didn’t really end well (mostly uses just Go/golang with some bash tricks here and there, with or without a database). Then I jumped back to Python, which I am more familiar with and was very surprised with all the options available. So I started with Pandas and Scikit-learn combo.
Had a discussion with my secondary supervisor and it turned out pretty bad because I wasn’t fully prepared and he was rushing to somewhere else for a meeting. So I am jotting down a brief summary (read: highly based on personal/subjective feelings/opinions) of my readings here to help organize things before the followup meeting that is taking place next week.