Notes on codes, projects and everything
Generally, library holds a wide variety of reading materials and providing ample space for quiet study. A full range of services is provided in a library, such as loan, reservation, inter-library loan, reference, online resource, document delivery, photocopying, audiovisual and microform materials.
Initially, the library transactions are handled manually by the library staff. The references are stored using the filing system. This tradition method has raised many inconveniences to the library staff.
Hence, you are required to do some research on the problems that faced by the conventional library management system, and then develop a computerized library system by using the ASP.NET.
A master page is used to set up a consistent look and feel to the website. However, since it is not being discussed in class, therefore we had got to learn that ourselves. We implemented a simple master page to the website and separate the layout and data presenting element using a stylesheet file. The tool used to develop the assignment is Visual Web Developer 2005 Express Edition.
Following included are the screenshots for some main functions.
Folksonomy is a neologism of two words, ’folk’ and ’taxonomy’ which describes conceptual structures created by users [4, 5]. A folksonomy is a set of unstructured collaborative usage of tags for content classification and knowledge representation that is popularized by Web 2.0 and social applications [1, 5]. Unlike taxonomy that is commonly used to organize resources to form a category hierarchy, folksonomy is non-hierarchical and non-exclusive . Both content hierarchy and folksonomy can be used together to better content classification.
I was asked to evaluate fuzzy c-means to find out whether it is a good clustering algorithm for my MPhil project. So I spent the whole afternoon reading through some tutorial to get some basic understanding. Then I thought why not implement it in Clojure because it doesn’t look too complicated (I was so wrong…).
After publishing the previous note on setting up my development environment, I find myself spending more time in the CLI (usually via SSH from host). Then I find myself not needing all the GUI apps in a standard Ubuntu desktop environment so I went ahead and set up a new environment based on Ubuntu Quantal server edition beta-1. For some reason my network stopped working and didn’t really want to spend time finding out the cause, so I reinstalled everything again today using the final installer, as well as the updated Virtualbox 4.2.6.
With most of my stuff more or less set, I guess it is time to start documenting the steps before I forget. So I heard a lot of good things about docker for quite some time, but haven’t really have the time to do it due to laziness (plus my relatively n00b-ness in the field of dev-ops). Just a few months ago, I decided to finally migrate away from webfaction (thanks for all the superb support) to a VPS so I can run more things on it.
Been trying my best to stick to the well-known UNIX Philosophy – “Do one thing and do it well”, so I have been breaking down my projects into numerous pieces of small tasks and rely on existing tools whenever possible. One of the existing tool that I use a lot is the GNU sort tool. Generally sort utility is really doing fine and dandy without having to configure anything, at least not until I realize the problem that leads to this post.